What’s Been Done?
During a civil war from 1991 to 2002, the once full service hospital in Rotifunk was completely destroyed. For ten years the Norwegian Methodist Church has been sending medical teams and working to rebuild this hospital. In the Spring of 2013, the Wrightsville United Methodist Church NC Conference, led mission activities in Rotifunk and produced some impressive results – which have included:
- Three teams have gone to Sierra Leone and completed initial assessment
- Hired a hospital administrator and chief medical officer
- The partial refurbishment of all hospital building
- The installation of a deep bore well which now provides water to the hospital and surrounding residents
- The shipment of critically needed medical supplies, equipment & medicine from North Carolina – which were delivered to the hospital
Even though much has been accomplished, there is still much more that needs to be done in order to upgrade the hospital’s capabilities and capacity so that it can provide quality medical care to people in the region.